Although the pumpkin is a very nutritious gourd that provides lots of protein, calcium, and zinc, pumpkin pie is another story. Between its buttered crust and the added cream and sugar, the beloved pumpkin pie can be an unhealthy fall dessert. Luckily, we have a healthy pumpkin pie recipe that has all of the taste but less of the added fat and sugar.
So after all of the delicious turkey, cranberry sauce, and sweet potato casserole on your holiday dinner menu, we hope you leave room for this yummy treat.
Download this expert FREE guide, Complete Nutrition: Low-carb diet, high-protein foods, healthy meal plans, how to use a calorie counter, and more.
Create healthy meal plans and discover the Superfoods that can transform your plate into a passport to better health.
Healthy Pumpkin Pie
Pie Crust Ingredients & Instructions
- 1 cup of walnuts, ground in food processor
- 1 cup pecans, ground in food processor
- 4 tablespoons real organic butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
Combine ingredients and press firmly into pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add filling.
- 2 cans organic pumpkin*
*Note: Fresh ingredients are healthier than canned foods due to BPA exposure. To use real pumpkin rather than canned pumpkin, cut one large pumpkin in half. Scrape the inside of the pumpkin to remove the stringy fibers. Place the two halves cut side down in a roasting pan along with 2 cups of water. Bake the pumpkin for 90 minutes. Scoop the inside of the pumpkin out and puree with a blender or food processor.
- 3 large organic, pastured eggs (no grain-fed eggs)
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup Stevia or Xylitol (birch tree)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Beat eggs lightly with a whisk.
- Add all other ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake 15 minutes and then reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 45-60 minutes.
- Test with toothpick starting at approximately 45 minutes after lowering the oven temperature, and every 5 minutes thereafter.
- The toothpick should come out clean or nearly clean when the pie is done.
The post Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe: Try This Perfect Holiday Dessert appeared first on University Health News.
Powered by WPeMatico